I finished installing the air cell sisalation during the week. It felt like a big step. We now have a more or less enclosed space.

Next job: setting glass into the western and southern window frames. The windows are over-engineered, like everything else in the boatshed – and rightly so. Winter gales down here provide a good test of workmanship, and a good test of materials. Any construction that is weak, or made of second-rate materials, will sooner or later disintegrate.

The glass is of heavy gauge (if that is the correct term), and storm-proof.


I have not forgotten the weatherboards. In my dreams the walls seem endless – but during daylight hours, I can see that two and a half walls are completed; only one and a half walls to go…..


And master of all….

Durable, easily-maintained – and by turn weight, support, counter-weight, divide or stop, according to circumstance.

Also useful for straightening out nails that have been disfigured by an unhappy encounter with Ironbark.

This is not the original shoe-last from Dad’s workshop, but a fair (and functional) replica.


I found the hammer. It was resting on a patch of earth. I put it back in the toolbox, next to its new companion, the Kozuchi hammer of Japanese origin.

The redicovered hammer hammers; the Kozuchi hammer absorbs knowledge from its Elder, by association.



I wasn’t looking forward to climbing up a ladder for this job – but it proved to be relatively simple. The beadings held the glass firmly inside the frame, while I drilled holes and hammered the small nails.

I put a sheet of cardboard between the glass and the hammer head, just for peace of mind.


We now have two functional windows, high up, ‘harvesting’ the steady southern light.